I believe that children can learn a lot from having contact with animals, however certain procedures will be followed to ensure the safety of the children;
- Children must be encouraged to treat all animals with respect, learning how to handle them correctly.
- Children must wash their hands after any contact with animals and understand the reasoning behind this.
- Children must be taught that not all animals are child friendly and that they should always check with the animal’s owner before attempting to stroke or handle them.
- Food for the pet must be stored safely away from the children’s reach.
- A high standard of hygiene must be followed, with careful thought given to the placing of the feeding and drink bowls of dogs and cats.
- The garden must be checked every morning, before the children are permitted outside to play, to ensure that no animal has fouled it.
Here at Just little Ones we currently have an pedigree golden retriever Ralph who we have had from 8 weeks old and will have regular visits from a Pedigree Golden Retriever who is under 1 called Luna who is a family dog. Luna may stay for longer periods when her parents are on holiday but I will make you aware of this before she comes.
Policy created- 14.1.18
Reviewed date- 1.1.2022