It is well known that exercise is vital to aid the physical development of young children and to encourage them to continue a healthy lifestyle into their adult years.
As an Ofsted Registered Childminder, I encourage the children in my care to join in all sorts of different physical activities and provide a range of resources to make it fun and enjoyable. One of those resources is a large trampoline. I am sure that like me you have read articles in the press about the potential dangers of these trampolines, which is why I follow the manufacturers’ instructions below:-
- Safety warnings*
- Read all instructions before using this trampoline.
- Only one person on the trampoline.
- Do not use if suffering from high blood pressure.
- Use only bare feet.
- No somersaults.
- Remove all sharp objects from pockets.
- Use trampoline only with mature, knowledgeable supervision.
- Never use this trampoline in heavy rain, wind or storm conditions, especially lightning storms.
- Not recommended for children under six years of age.
- Inspect before using and replace any worn, defective or missing parts.
- Climb on and off the trampoline. Do not use the trampoline as a springboard.
- Learn fundamental bounces and body positions thoroughly.
- Avoid bouncing too high. Maintain control.
- Secure the trampoline against unauthorised use.
- Do not use if trampoline is wet or in windy conditions.
*I have removed the warnings that are not relevant to my setting (ie do not use if pregnant)
In addition to the above, I will ensure that:
Minded children are not permitted on the trampoline without written permission from their parents (please see Trampoline Permission Form).
The trampoline may only be used when the safety netting is in place.
The safety netting and the trampoline will be checked regularly to ensure it is in a good condition.
All children using the trampoline must listen and follow any instructions from me, failure to do so may result in them no longer being permitted to use this piece of equipment.
If you have any concerns regarding your child using this piece of equipment, please do discuss them with me.
Policy Created 11.2.18
Review Date 31.12.18